Thursday, July 17, 2008

LUMS Interview – An Actual Script

I thought I should come up with some lighter text on this blog ... so here I recount the process of getting into LUMS ... (the subject on which this experiment of admission process was conducted is me). This could also be a head-start for all you wanna-LUMS MBAs out there!

It all began with an intention of getting into LUMS, for that initially, I attended an open session by LUMS in Karachi @ AKU. This sort of a session is held in major cities of Pakistan and maybe in UAE as well. After finalizing the decision of getting into LUMS, I went through the process of registering for the LUMS test (LMAT in my case). One can also attempt GMAT, but LMAT was due early so I thought of giving a go at a test, which is not very heavy on my pocket (around Rs. 1500/- as opposed to Rs. 15,000/- for GMAT), btw, both are equally acceptable! After giving the test, you need to forget that you ever gave a test ... yes ... they take a longgggg time to come back to you with results ... like I gave my LMAT on 18th November, 2006 and got the result on 18th January, 2007 (come to think of it ... A WHOLE YEAR WENT BY :P).

Anyways, the wait wasn't over, infact it had just begun! After the result, I again forgot all about it, then out of the blue, I got an interview call to be conducted on 18th April, 2007 (you can do the math ... they really test your patience!) Interviews were held in Sheraton and were generally 20-25 minutes long. I immortalized (oh yeah!) my interview ... check it out below ....

Following story is the how my interview for LUMS MBA went about. Before I dive into the actual script, let me give you brief overview about my academics and my job experience to set the context right.

Name:
Muhammad Mohtashim Jangda
Masters: n/a
Bachelors: BS (CS) from Department of Computer Science, University of Karachi
Bachelors CGPA: 3.75
Intermediate: F.Sc from Adamjee Government Science College

Intermediate Percentage: 83%
Matriculate: S,Sc from Gulistan S.A.L School
Matriculate Percentage: 83%
LMAT Score: 800/800
Work Experience: 1 yr 5 month at the time of interview @ KalSoft Pvt. Ltd
Experience Notables: Have completed an on-site implementation in Dubai, with Microsoft, as a Consultant plus have conducted several training all over Pakistan and abroad

And here it goes; By the way, the script will be in the ME, THEM format. The sentences might not be exact.

I entered the room and was ushered to be seated

ME
Thank You

I handed over to them my file after being asked for it

THEM
You have a very immaculate academic career and your Graduation GPA is very good. What was your ranking overall in the department?
ME
Thanks, well, I ranked 5th in my Batch
THEM
So, tell us about your Job at KalSoft
ME
I have been in KalSoft from December, 2005. I joined immediately after the exams of the final semester. I have been a part of the product development team of DeXpert – a workflow automation solution. I have also conducted trainings on behalf of Microsoft in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad. I recently completed a successful project with Microsoft Gulf in Dubai. The project was to gather requirements and deploy a Microsoft server solution, called Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, customize the solution and conduct end user trainings as part of a solution deliverable
THEM
What do you think was most important part of your project?
ME
Requirement gathering was the most important part of our project and we spent about a month in the same
THEM
Isn’t implementation important?
ME
Well, its not just about installing the solution and going home; its all about molding the product, customizing it so that it fulfils the needs of the end user, which can only be known by requirement gathering. So, I believe requirement gathering is the most important phase in a successful project
THEM
What was their requirement?
ME
Basically, they required document management solution, plus they wanted to automate a few of their business processes.
THEM
What was the project development approach?
ME
Sorry sir, I don’t get what you mean
THEM
Like spiral model ….
ME
Oh that, well, we followed the water fall model?
THEM
Why?
ME
Actually, timeline was short and, so couldn’t really adopt an iterative approach, so all the requirements were taken at once and once the requirements were base lined, then we implemented the solution and did the customization with UAT etc.
THEM
Was it an on­-site project?
ME
Yes, it was. Actually, the Dubai office of our company doesn’t have consultant, only sales team is there. Whenever a consultant is required, it asks the back office to provide one
THEM
When a project could be on-site and when can if it be done off-site?
ME
Requirement gathering has to be on-site, but the development can be done off-site, as it doesn’t require much interaction with the client.
THEM
For this project, who were your competitors?
ME
I think Vertscape and PDSR had the competency for the same
THEM
So, why do you think KalSoft was chosen?
ME
Greater number of client references
THEM
And?
ME
More competent in this sort of solution, we are Microsoft Gold Partner in Information worker

solutions
THEM
And what else?
ME
And well, I think (smiling) our sales team also did well in convincing Microsoft.
THEM
(also smiling) ok; What are the last three books you have read?
ME
In the Line of Fire by Mr. Musharraf, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and another book of Sherlock Holmes, I can’t remember the name
THEM
So, do you agree with Musharraf’s point of view?
ME
Yes, partially I do
THEM
Why?
ME
Pakistan has grown a lot financially in his tenure, which I think is very worthwhile, that is why
THEM
(pointing towards the white board) What is the second gradient in the graph on the board?
ME
I pointed towards a place on the curve, where it was parallel to x-axis (thinking maybe second gradient is the 2nd place starting from zero, where gradient is zero)

THEM
No, I think you got us wrong, second gradient is the d2x/dy2, now tell
ME
(replying immediately) Sir, I cant recall
THEM
Try to remember, take you time
ME
(waiting for a 5 seconds) Sorry sir, cant seem to recall
THEM
Ok, let us give you a hint, it’s the rate of change of change
ME
Ah yes, it’s here (pointing towards a portion on the graph)
THEM
And Why?
ME
Because, the graph is increasing at a constant rate
THEM
OK. If the trade is opened between Pakistan and India, would it be beneficial to Pakistan?
ME
Yes, it would be
THEM
Why?
ME
Well, I believe the quality of product is better in Pakistan as compared to India, and since quality prevails, so I think we can capture the market easily
THEM
Any other reason?
ME
Hmm, the cost of trading will be reduce and other trade overheads, like if we are importing something from like Middle East, we can save time and money if we import it from India
THEM
You are doing so well in you field, why do you want to do an MBA?
ME
I want to be involved in the bigger picture, I want to understand the operations of the company better and I believe MBA will help me develop these skills even more
THEM
Where do you think is the room of improvement in your company?
ME
I believe Project Management and HR is something my company should improve on
THEM
OK, thanks Mr. Mohtashim
ME
Sir, I have one question
THEM
What?
ME
Till when should I expect a response?
THEM
Well (thinking) 2-3 weeks maybe, why (smiling)?
ME
(Smiling) Sir, I’ll be curious

and I exited the room [with a smile on my face .. so that people waiting for their turn wont't get depressed :) ]


After that ... I didn't have to wait that long, the status was updated online within 2-3 days and the party was on! Then came the time, we started our SOP (summer orientation program) ... but let me keep that part a mystery ... atleast for a while :)

peace out!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

very good interview hints .If I got the admission I'll follow you guidlines :).

Kamran said...

mohti... don't tell me you remember each and every bit of your interview

Unknown said...

that's because I recorded immediately after the interview ... howzat ;)

Gul said...

Hey. I am Saba. I am applying for MBA this year. i have few questions regarding the admission. how much LMAT score u need to get in??? I do not have any job experience??? Does it affect my chances of getting admission???

Unknown said...

Well ... there is no clear indication of the minimum score ... I have seen people with a score of 540 in the admission interviews as well ... but reckon .. 600+ gives you a good chance ...
As for experience .. it does matter ... not as much for males then females ... but it does ... on average ... there was atleast an year's difference in experience between girls and boys in our batch ...

Bilal said...

How many students do they admit to the MBA class?